Monday, July 28, 2008

Not as easy as I thought...

In order to spread awareness about Factor V Leiden - I'm currently asking girls from the yahoo group and my myspace group to send in photos of themselves while pregnant, with their babies, etc...

A few girls in the groups have asked if they can send pictures of the "not-so-happy" stuff. I have received so many stories and pictures of babies that were stillborn or died due to complicatiosn related to FVL.

It's so hard to look at these pictures. I can't help but break down into tears after reading their stories, feeling their grief. But, I guess that's the reason why I have to do this. So people "get it" -Realize what we fear is real.

We were beyond lucky with Sadie. So much so that I feel a wierd, awkward guilt about it. I hope that this project is viewed by not only the people who HAVE this genetic defect - but the doctors, nurses and families of those afflicted by it. People need to know that more research is needed to treat pregnant women with FVL. Maybe, someday, no babies will be lost.

1 comment:

Collins said...

I really think it's great that you're taking your experience and using to help others. Most people don't do that, and you have every right to selfishly enjoy your life and not look back. But you're bigger than that, and I really do appreciate all you are doing to help others. You're a really great person, and I'm glad I know you.