Friday, June 19, 2009

Michelle's Mommy Blogs - Sadie's Birth

I'm trying to organize all my old blogs from Sadie's NICU stay and the aftermath. Originally this was all posted on Myspace and Caring Bridge - so I'm attemping to organize them all here. Here is the first installment...

Friday, February 29, 2008
Michelle & Erik’s New Baby Girl


Hi everyone - this is Michelle's friend Karlene. Michelle unfortunately can't blog like she had originally wanted to because the hospital blocked the site, so she asked me to pass along some details and information for all of you that are anxiously awaiting.

Michelle and Erik went in on Wednesday night to get things going...after nearly 24 hours of pitocin and other methods to get her to progress faster with the labor, she ended up having a C-section.

Sadie Michelle Williams was born at 8:06 PM last night, weighing in at 6lbs, 15 oz and 20 inches long. She's a cutie...she looks just like her daddy with mommy's ears and lips, and the chubbiest little cheeks. Sadie does have a few complications - they found out that she has a couple of breathing problems and a heart murmer. There is a doctor that is on call from Children's Memorial at the hospital, so Sadie is getting the best care possible. She is going to be in the hospital for awhile. I'm not sure how long they will be staying, but when i find out, i'll let you know.

Everyone, PLEASE keep the Williams family in your thoughts and prayers. This is a very hard time for them and they need all the support and love that they can get.

If anyone has any questions, you can contact me at www.myspace.com/karlene1016 or email karlene_santiago@yahoo.com

On a happier note - check out baby sadie's pictures...she's beautiful!!! :-)

Friday, February 29, 2008
Baby Sadie update


Some updates on how baby Sadie is right now...

The good news is she doesn't have a heart murmer. The bad news is that she still has fluid in her lungs and her breathing is getting worse - she may have to be transferred out to another hospital for more intensive care.

Michelle and Erik are asking everyone to pray for little Sadie - I'm sure everything is going to be ok, but she needs everyone's love and support right now. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Saturday, March 01, 2008
Today’s Sadie update


Hi all - Karlene again - more updates on Sadie...

She just had to be transferred to Children's Memorial. While her breathing isn't getting worse (which is good), it's not getting any better, either. She's currently on a ventilator to help her breath, but she's on her way to the best possible pediatric care that she can receive right now. I know she's going to pull out of this and I think everyone's prayers and support are really helping to pull her through this. She is a hell of a fighter!!!

On a positive note, Michelle is doing really well w/ her recovery from her C-Section. She is recovering so fast, up walking around and taking care of herself , and I think it's because of her natural mommy instinct to be strong for Sadie. Both she and Erik are holding up amazingly well.

Keep up with the prayers - Michelle, Erik and especially little Sadie need them more then ever right now.

Sunday, March 02, 2008
From Sadie’s mom - Update and information on her condition


One there lives whose guardian eye - Guides our earthly destiny;

One there lives, who Lord of all, Keeps His children lest they fall;

Pass we, then, in love and praise, Trusting Him through all our days,

Free from doubt and faithless sorrow, - God provideth for the morrow.


I never in a million years thought I would have left the hospital without my baby. But, last night, Erik and I had to do the hardest task of our lives and go home without our little girl.

I am doing fine from my c-section. We are staying with my mom and dad indefinitely.

Erik and I would first like to thank from the bottom of our hearts every little prayer, wish and thought that has come from each one of you for our Sadie. I have never been so overwhelmed with kindness from people in my entire life. I really don't think I could have made it this far without all the love from all of you.

Mentally, this has been the most trying experience of our entire lives. I won't be able to hold her for weeks. The most contact I've had with Sadie was from her holding my finger and yesterday - for the first time - I got to kiss her little cheek.

Sadie is a fighter - not just since Thursday - but since last June when she was created. Every doctor told us that it would be next to impossible to have a baby and then we got pregnant. Then the doctors told us that the chance of a miscarraige was extremely high until the 16th week - and Sadie just trucked right along. This baby has done nothing but prove everyone wrong and I know in my heart that she will get better at Children's Memorial.

Having to make the decision to send her so far away was heart-wrenching and sickening. But we knew that there was no other way for her to get the care she needed. So we followed our mind instead of our heart and allowed a NICU transport team from Children's to take her to Chicago.

About her condition:

At first it was believed that she had fluid in her lungs from the way she was delivered. But, as the doctors have gone on to discover - they think she has one of two conditions: pneumonia or RDS (Respiratory Distress Syndrome caused by some sort of virus).

After she was born, she was grunting heavily and her breathing only got worse each day. By Saturday morning, she was working so hard to breathe that the pediatrician from Children's made the decision to put a tube down her throat and ventilate her. This intibation process is helping Sadie to breathe without her having to do all the work. She needed to rest and hopefully this is the cure that will help her to get strong enough to breathe on her own.

Since arriving at Children's, Sadie had numerous tests done to see what action the doctors take from here. She was given a drug called Intrasurf, which is a surfectant to help her lift the oxygen exchange in her lungs. She has a central line (a tube) that they inserted thru her belly button to help give her the medication she needs without having to constantly stick her with needles.

She is receiving fluids and calcium thru her IV's to help maintain her sugars. So far, the Intrasurf has helped to lower some of the vent settings - which is just one step closer to getting her off the machine and breathing on her own. She is taking antibiotics to fight off any infection because her chest x-rays show that her lungs are very hazy all over.

As of 7 a.m. this morning, Sadie is stable and doing good. They were able to switch the ventilator settings from 50 to 35 and her blood gas levels came back normal.

She has a very strong heart and an ultrasound of her heart showed no problems at all. She had a poop and a pee last night which is great news as well.

Minimum, Sadie will be at Children's Memorial for at least two weeks. Then, she will be transfered back to Silver Cross where she will learn how to be held, eat and all those little things that come natural to full-term babies.

For a premature baby - she was a very healthy weight and she has that going for her. I really believe that if she was smaller, this fight would be much more difficult for her little body.

Erik is going up with my sister today to see my baby girl. I can't go because I have been in extreme pain from the c-section since yesterday. I can't even begin to explain how it makes a mother feel to not be able to see her baby. It feels like someone kicked me in the stomach at times. But, I know I have to get better because I can't be of any help to Sadie if I'm not well.

Erik and I are hoping to get into the Ronald McDonald house for a few nights to be close to her. Please wish us luck with getting a reservation!

Please pray for Sadie. I just know she's going to be okay but all these prayers help her - and her mommy and daddy - very much.

We love all of you and will update as her condition changes.

Love - Michelle and Erik

(I am posting new pictures and a video of Sadie. I will let everyone know when they're up and where on youtube to see the video)

No comments: